Monday, October 13, 2008

Portrait #6: Brian


So far Brian has been the most "involved" sitter I have drawn. (Meaning he kept nagging "Can I see it?? Make my chin longer, move my eyebrow up. I don't think my ear goes out that far" etc. If you remember from the first post, he was the one that asked not to be drawn as "skinny and Jewish". That portrait failed pretty hard because of my attention to his requests although I went pretty wild with the texture of his sweater (which he wore again in this portrait). This time around, he was very interested in the other sitters' requests for certain features and was very pleased that I subconsciously emphasized his Italian side. Brian has a newfound affinity for Italian culture after spending a year in Florence. After I was done with the drawing he commended me that it looked like an Italian fresco. Mostly I like the rumpledness of his sweater and how it shows his slouchy posture. The picture above reveals the witty, performative side of Brian's personality.

Brian had a really good time eating the Trader Joe's Ginger Snaps while being drawn, and talking about his crazy dreams which he was excited to go to sleep for. We also went to town making up new lyrics to "Wagon Wheel" pertaining to Obama. (e.g. "rock me momma like a wagon wheel" --> "barack obama can cook brisket meals") We tried to incorporate both mainstream media coverage of the election but also some radical politics "Barack obama let's be real, barack obama you're imperial. youuuuuuu can project onto him your politics". To which Brian "HA HA HA HA HA"ed at for about a commercial slot length of time.

I'm Beth Slutzky and I endorse this message.


1 comment:

Unfaltering Certainty said...

what about how i asked you to make my package bigger?